Equality, Inclusion & Diversity Policy
INCLUSION AND DIVERSITY POLICY
The Nursery is committed to providing equality for all. We believe that all people have a right to live in an environment that is free from prejudice and discrimination. We welcome all sections of the community as children, parents/carers, students and staff. The nursery aims to ensure that in the recruitment, employment, promotion and training of staff and in the admission, care and education of children and students, all individuals are given equal concern and treatment.
The nursery aims to treat all children, families, students and staff members fairly and as individuals regardless of their race,colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, creed, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation, gender, disability. The nursery welcomes and complies with all equality and anti-discriminatory legislation and guidance for good practice.
We believe that all people:
- Should be valued and respected as individuals.
- Have their needs recognised and met and given the opportunity to develop to their full potential.
- Have the right to grow and learn in an environment that is free from prejudice and We aim to achieve this by:
- Treating all individuals with courtesy and respect.
- Providing positive role models.
- Positively reinforcing each individual’s self-esteem.
- Celebrating diversity.
- Providing an anti-bias curriculum.
- Working with parents/carers to ensure that their children’s individual needs are met.
- Ensuring that, as far as possible, all children and students have full access to the
- Ensuring that the nursery displays a range of materials and images that offer a
positive and non-stereotypical view of different cultures, religions, genders, family
- Encouraging children, students and staff members to celebrate differences, ask questions and learn about people who are different from themselves.
- Working within the local and wider community to develop the children’s, students’ and staffs’ knowledge and understanding of the diverse society in which we live.
- Challenging discriminatory remarks, behaviour and practice.
- Regularly reviewing our practice to ensure that it is non-discriminatory.
- Ensuring that no form of discrimination, intimidation, bullying, harassment or victimisation is tolerated (see Bullying and Harassment Policy).
The nursery is committed to providing appropriate and high quality care and education to all the children and students who attend. We believe that all children and students, including those identified as having additional educational needs, have a common entitlement to a broad and balanced academic and social curriculum, which is accessible to them, and fully inclusive. The nursery will make reasonable adjustments to allow full access for children and students to these entitlements.
We pay particular attention to the provision for and the success and achievement of different groups, including:
- Male and Female.
- Children/students for whom English is an additional language (EAL)
- Children/students with additional educational needs.
- Children/students with disabilities.
- Children/students who are gifted and talented.
We recognise that children and young people learn and develop at different rates and that there are many factors affecting achievement, including ability, emotional state, age and maturity. We believe that all children and young people may experience difficulties which affect their learning, and recognise that these may be long or short term.
At Pangbourne day Nursery we aim to identify these needs as they arise and provide support, which enables every child and young person to achieve his or her full potential. We believe that every member of staff is entitled to a working environment that promotes dignity and respect for all.
We aim to achieve this by:
- Ensuring that promotion, training and development of staff are determined on capability alone.
- Ensuring that members of staff who are involved in the recruitment, training and promotion of staff understand their responsibility for the practical application of this Inclusion and Diversity Policy.
- Ensuring that all staff members have sufficient training to enable them to fulfil their role.
- Ensuring that any staff member who considers that they have been unfairly discriminated against has access to the nursery’s Grievance Procedure.
- Ensuring that any member of staff who has been determined to have committed an act of discrimination is subject to disciplinary action according to the nursery’s Disciplinary Rules and Procedures. We aim to achieve inclusion and diversity through nursery policies and procedures, staffing, relationships with parents/carers and through links with the local and wider community. We aim to make the nursery environment as inclusive as possible within the restrictions of the building in which we are situated. All members of staff and students have personal responsibility for the practical application of this policy, which applies to the treatment of children, families and the general public as well as to fellow members of staff and students.
Reviewed: December 2015